[lug] Unsuccessful Ping

John Hernandez John.Hernandez at noaa.gov
Fri Feb 9 11:42:29 MST 2001

SoloCDM wrote:

> John Hernandez stated the following:
> >
> > I don't get it, exactly.  So you want to check if the circuit is up at
> > the physical and/or data link layer?  Or you want to check if a host on
> > the other end is IP reachable?  Or both?  Ping will only accomplish the
> > latter.  You would then need to do a second test (SNMP perhaps) to test
> > the line's physical/link status.
>
> I finally went with the following:
>
>     ping -c 6 -i 10 mail.aculink.net > /dev/null 2>&1
>     MOKAY=${?}
>     if (( ${MOKAY} == 1 ))
>
> How would I go about testing the SNMP?

This depends on the vendor and capabilities of your hardware.  There's a
nice program suite called NOCOL that can help you monitor this stuff and
generate alarms and reports.

http://www.netplex-tech.com/software/nocol/

> > By the way, the fping program is nice for scripting, and it may even
> > allow you to eliminate some of the egreps and gawks ;)
>
> Do you have a link for fping?

After several hours of rigorous searching (i.e. top of the google list),
I finally turned up:

http://www.fping.com

Also check rpmfind.net for binaries.  ;)