[lug] @home mail failures - isp alternatives?

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Fri Feb 9 14:03:21 MST 2001

On Thu, Feb 08, 2001 at 06:24:33PM -0700, Trever C. Trader wrote:
>of not being able to use name resolution to build my own /etc/resolv.conf

Or, better yet, set up your own caching name server on your box.  dnscache
works pretty darn well for this.  Better in my experience than BIND.

>I use the DNS servers of some ISP's back in Illinois where a friend
>works.  I haven't had a problem since.  There is a command within 'pump'
>that will allow you to tell it to not rebuild the resolv.conf when you
>pole the DHCP server for your IP info; that was essential otherwise the
>resolv.conf get's re-written after every reboot.

In /etc/pump.conf, add:

	device eth0 { nodns }

for each device you don't want to have resolv.conf tweeked when receiving
DHCP for.  I use it with my local caching DNS.

Sean
--
 If we could sell our experiences for what they cost us, we'd all be
 millionaires.  -- Abigail Van Buren