[lug] wireless lan problems

Ferdinand Schmid fschmid at archenergy.com
Fri Feb 9 16:35:12 MST 2001

Sean Reifschneider wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 08, 2001 at 04:44:02PM -0700, Ferdinand Schmid wrote:
> >I don't care as long as I can have a separate configuration for my wired
> >lan and wireless lan.  Currently it picks up eth0, which is my wired lan
> >configuration.  My access point doesn't support that address range so I
> >would like to have the wireless setup to go to eth2.
>
> In /etc/pcmcia/network.opts, you can have it do different things
> based on the MAC address of the card you put in.  I have used this
> in the past to give different IPs based on wether I'm using my home
> or work wireless card, or wired cards, etc...
>
>    case "$HWADDR" in
>        00:90:D1*)
>           [...]

I tried this and found out that for some reason this network.opts file must
not be considered.  I tried all kinds of tricks and read the PCMCIA howto.
For now I will just manually fix the eth0 configuration in

> For some of the messages you're getting, try doing "depmod -a" to get rid
> of them.

This showed no problems (except a non related pcmcia parport problem that I
should take care of some other time).

At this point I have the card inserted, can't set the channel - but the card
reports that it found my access point (it lists the correct AP MAC
address).  But I still can't ping the AP.
Potentially I can't set the channel due to a driver issue and I also can't
set the transfer speed...

Any suggestions where to go from here?

Thanks,
Ferdinand