[lug] Multicast packets?

Atkinson, Chip CAtkinson at Circadence.com
Mon Feb 12 15:11:25 MST 2001

I'll check into the cause of the storms, but I think the queing up packets
on the switch/hub is probably a likely candidate since I'm connected to a
10/100 hub and the rest of the machines that are connected to it are 100Mb
as is the rest of the network.

What happens is that whenever the connection goes "down", most packets are
dropped and the round trip time gets long (1500 ms or so from a hub mate).

I am using a program, ntop, to watch what is happening, which gave me the
clues to pursue the problem.

I believe (ha ha) that I'm getting pretty close to the problem, but want to
understand the multicast clue.

Thanks for your help.

Chip