[lug] idebus- help!!

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Mon Feb 12 18:30:41 MST 2001

llornkcor wrote:

> Hi-
> I have installed suse 7 on my linux box at home, and am experiencing _alot_ of fs corruption, when copying or moving or installing files. And other weird
> stuff like booting up, getting to the fsck prompt, and it telling me it can't find ANY superblocks ( /boot) ! So I reboot from the cd, fsck the /, and on
> reboot... nadda on /boot. I never even touched it with fsck. The only thing I can think of is ide config error, DMA error, or bad memory. BUT, the memory
> works fine for winblows  , and the previously installed RedHat. I couldn't even get through a regular install without it crashing, until I removed the CDRom
> (UDMA-able, whatever that means), and put in the ole ATAPI standby.
>
> On boot up I noticed this message:
>
> ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with idebus=xxx
>
> Of course, the bus speed is 100, and am using UDMA hard drives. The previous installion of RedHat NEVER had this much corruption. At first, I thought
> it might be reiserfs causing all the seg faults, so I reinstalled with just ext2. Same thing.
> Not to mention the init simply doesn't see my scsi adapter, even thought its (I suppose) in all the right places, but manually modprobe finds it fine.
>
> suggestions?

Longshot...I vaguely recall seeing something like this long ago with
BIOS settings for the disk being inconsistent in LBA mode or not. I
can't recall exactly what it is, but it resulted in the system and bios
ideas of end of partition cylinder not being in sync. Naturally, windows
would correct it to its way. Has windows complained about anything and
wanted to "fix" it?