[lug] CVS question

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Tue Feb 13 11:56:29 MST 2001

I'm not sure if it would be easier or not, but CVS itself understands certain
macros placed in source and can do the timestamping for you, which leaves
timestamping at the checkin point, not at the user desktop.  (How many
developers do you think actually check their clocks or run NTP?  GRIN)

They call this "keyword expansion" and a short list of them would be:

$Author$ - person who committed this revision
$Date$ - duh
$Id$ - filename, revision, date and author all in one
$Revision$ - you guessed it
$Source$ - path to source tree in CVS
$Log$ - last log entry

There are quite a few more, I recommend Open Source Development with CVS from
Coiolis OpenPress.  [I seriously "borrowed" from it for this e-mail!]

Much of the book is GPL'ed and used to be easy to find on their web page, but
the last time I was there they'd kinda messed up their site design (too
cluttered) and I couldn't find it.  Cover price #39.99 and well worth it.
Especially if you have to admin a CVS repository and need to understand the
internals.

I've read the Cederqvist cover to cover, and I like this book a lot better.

Nate Duehr, nate at natetech.com

"Never underestimate the bandwidth of a 747 filled with CD-ROM's."