[lug] xinetd config

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Tue Feb 13 13:29:57 MST 2001

"Gary Frerking (TurboPower)" wrote:

> D.
>
> Doh! Just realized I misread your question.  :o(
>
> Are you restarting xinetd? That's about the only thing I can think of if the
> flags set right.
>
> You could try posting a line of xinetd here?
>
> Should have gotten my coffee *before* answering the previous message.
>
> -- Gary

I always restart xinetd or any daemon after I've altered a config file.
I add config to the /etc/xinetd.conf file. Then to avoid problems in the
later config files for the connection based services, I'm careful to be
sure the "=" to flags is changed to "+=" in the appended files
(something I didn't do when I first tested). The individual services
used are multithreaded versions, one of the other requirements for this
to work. Sample /etc/xinetd.conf:
defaults
{
   flags            = IDONLY
   instances        = 60
   log_type         = SYSLOG authpriv
   log_on_success   = HOST PID USERID
   log_on_failure   = HOST PID USERID ATTEMPT RECORD
}
includedir /etc/xinetd.d

Sample /etc/xinetd.d/telnet:
service telnet
{
   flags            += REUSE
   socket_type      = stream
   wait             = no
   user             = root
   server           = /usr/sbin/in.telnetd
   disable          = no
}

Basically it just doesn't do anything, since I turn my identd off on the
other machine and can still log in with no messages or troubles at all
to the 2nd machine. I've tried other combinations of where to add USERID
as well, no difference made.

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com