[lug] Redhat 7.1 beta and RieserFS

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Tue Feb 13 13:40:42 MST 2001

"Michael J. Pedersen" wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 13, 2001 at 11:10:45AM -0700, Ferdinand Schmid wrote:
> > You also can't boot off a Reiserfs partition.  So you need at least a small
> > /boot partition that is ext2.
>
> Actually, yes, you can boot off of a reiserfs partition. It requires a
> particular option be passed in for mounting / (I believe it's -notail), but it
> can be done. I know it can, because I've done it in the past.  Check their
> webpage for specifics on how to do it.
>
> --
> Michael J. Pedersen
> My GnuPG KeyID: 4E724A60        My Public Key Available At: wwwkeys.pgp.net
> My GnuPG Key Fingerprint: C31C 7E90 5992 9E5E 9A02 233D D8DD 985E 4E72 4A60
> GnuPG available at http://www.gnupg.org

Have you heard about if or when fdisk will itself offer the ReiserFS
option? I noticed that the source installed with the patched RH kernel
does have a set of reiserfs source files with it (incidentally, one of
this is named "tail_conversion.c"...probably related to the -notail).
I'm debating repartitioning for a separate /boot, which I didn't do on
this first install. Since this install isn't full of critical software
yet, I could risk losing it without much fear. Is there a url or other
information you might know of with more info on the -notail option?

Plus a general question to the RH admins. I think there might be a way
to store the current package list of this install on a floppy, so I can
simply refer to that when reinstalling (instead of reselecting each
package again by hand). I know SuSE has this ability, but how does RH do
this?

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com