[lug] DOH- swap space

Tkil tkil at scrye.com
Tue Feb 13 19:18:13 MST 2001

>>>>> "ljp" == <ljp at llornkcor.com> writes:
ljp> Ok, in my haste to get linux running again, I forgot to fdisk a
ljp> swap partition.  Anyone know how to start a swap file?

Sean> Once you have the partition set up with fdisk (type 83), you do
Sean> "mkswap /dev/hdaN".

i think the key here is that ljp said swap FILE.

and the man page for `mkswap'(8) has this to say:

       To  setup a swap file, it is necessary to create that file
       before running mkswap , e.g. using a command like

              # dd if=/dev/zero of=swapfile bs=1024 count=65536

       Note that a swap file must  not  contain  any  holes  (so,
       using cp(1) to create the file is not acceptable).

after that, you can use mkswap as the man page indicates, then do
`swapon'(8) to hook it up.  those two man pages should give you all
the info you need.

t.