[lug] new to BLUG, Hello, @Home setup

Holshouser, David dholshou at ball.com
Wed Feb 14 15:27:32 MST 2001

	> Yeah I wasn't gonna bring that up. But why are you worrying about
DHCP?

Because a network of this size should be dhcp'd. I'm just being polite and
asking
for an address from the network, but nothing is coming back.
The activity light blinks once and then is quiet and eventually dhcp times
out.

I can put in the IP address that I get from windows and see what happens,
but I'd rather
dhcp->request, renew, refresh the way it's supposed to work.

Did you make your hostname the weird Cad92240.computer.home.att.net stuff or
not?
If so, what method did you use to accomplish this?
Did you do anything else like that?

Dhcp should also keep /etc/resolv.conf updated if they ever change their
default name
servers, gateways, etc. It's just a nicer (read, I don't have to do jack
once it's going) way
to run the system.

So I guess I'm to understand that you haven't really done much except turn
your machine
on and set the IP statically?
hmmm.