[lug] DHCP?? was new to BLUG, Hello, @Home setup

Holshouser, David dholshou at ball.com
Wed Feb 14 16:03:38 MST 2001

nice new subject line. I guess I've made a grand entrance, eh?

in theory dhcp should configure everything you need for network access.

This includes dns entries, gateway information, netmask settings, etc.
This saves the local admin (you) from ever having to worry about your
provider
changing their settings.
As for accessing your machine remotely, use a dynamic dns service. Some of
them are
free, will update IP settings as your machine updates and you no longer have
to remember
your IP address. Instead you can refer to your home box as
yourname.dyndns.org
http://www.dnsproviders.com/index-d.shtml
I've used nols.com for a while (and pay $20/yr for a 2nd level domain,
myname.com,
instead of yourname.dyndns.org). I've been very please by the service and
the accessiblity
of having myname.com is one of the coolest things ever.
Man, how I want that back. No cable connection, no myname.com.