[lug] RH 7.0 and Nvidia Geforce 2

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Wed Feb 14 16:46:29 MST 2001

"Stephen G. Smith" wrote:

> Trying to save time with this question..
>
> I am having a heck of a time getting RH 7.0 installed with no x-server
> for the
> Nvidia Geforce 2 adapter.
>
> I know I can just do the install with no X and then add the driver
> later but am
> wondering why when the video probe fails on install and I choose a
> custom config,
> the X startup fails thereafter.
>
> Does the Latest KRUD have this adapter support?
>
> SGS

One thing I always recommend is to use the text mode install, offered
right at the start of the install. Graphics mode I think uses the
framebuffer console, which doesn't always do what you want, especially
with regards to video card probing for X. I'd also suggest you might
want to try the RH 7.1 beta, it seems to be improved on video card
setup. When it comes time to install a non-beta 7.1, this is probably
also easier to upgrade. If you do get the RH 7.1 beta, you will want to
remember to cd to /usr/X11R6/bin/, and chmod ugo+rx xterm. The default
perms seem to allow only root to open a console.

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com