[lug] [OT] Solaris device names

Bill Jorgensen jorg at sysmgrs.com
Wed Feb 14 21:22:28 MST 2001

On Wed, 14 Feb 2001, John Starkey wrote:

> I also did a sys-unconfig and added the tulip (/dev/dnet) card but it still
> wouldn't take. Hmmm. I don't know.

The key thing within Sun is to tell the kernel to 'Go Reconfig Yourself!'

You can do this two different ways. You can send it a reboot -- -r from
command line. Or you can do a drvconfig ; ? ; devlinks from command line.
Unfortunately, I have not had to reconfig for an ethernet device. You can
tell the box to reconfig itself for new devices with a boot -r from the
ok prompt. You need to tell the kernel you have a new device on the machine
and that it needs to build the driver for it. That is the purpose of the
reconfigure reboot. If Sun does not support the device the reconfigure
reboot will be moot.

At that point you would need to contact the vendor to see what they can do
for you. If you are under a Sun service agreement you can go to
sunsolve.sun.com (you will need to acquire a login from Sun) to look for
patch/bug reports. They may have a patch for you that may work. You can
download it free from sunsolve.sun.com with your login.

Later,

Bill