[lug] What tweaks are done to kernels by distributors

Gary Frerking (TurboPower) garyf at turbopower.com
Thu Feb 15 10:33:20 MST 2001

> I ask this because I want to upgrade my RH 7.0 kernel to 2.2.18, which
> RH has not released under their own version. (I do not want to go to
> 2.4 right now).

Do you have a specific reason for 2.2.18?

You may already know this -- but in case you don't, Redhat released a
2.2.17-14 rpm last week.

If you don't mind living on the edge, one possible source of a 2.2.18 rpm
is:

  http://silkhat.sourceforge.net

I was tempted to try his stuff on a test machine last week when I ran into a
kernel bug in the 2.2.16-22 kernel, but I got the Redhat announcement right
around that time so I went with the "official" stuff.

I've never used the Silky stuff -- but I've seen it around for awhile, and
I've never heard anybody scream that there's a serious problem with it.

-- Gary