[lug] Apache config

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Thu Feb 15 11:40:24 MST 2001

Kyle Moore wrote:

> I am trying to get a feel for how other people do things. When setting
> up a web server for real use (not just a workstation connected to the
> net) I have always done the apache,php,ssl,mod-perl config and whatever
> database is required manually from source. This allows me a little more
> freedom I think.
>
> Do you manually configure this stuff or do you let your package manager
> (rpm/deb) do it for you? If so, have you had acceptable results? Do you
> find it easy to upgrade one piece of the puzzle without breaking
> another?
>
> Thanks for the input.
>
> -Kyle Moore

I haven't had to set up Apache for anything that actually reaches the
Internet, though what I put on it locally is intended to later go to the
Internet on a different machine. In the past the default Apache config
was inadequate, and I ended up digging around editing files, sometimes
breaking things doing recompiles when glibc was the wrong version. The
RH 7.1 seems to be much better setup for Apache than prior RH, including
SSL by default. Some wiser choices were also made to not automatically
run many services, and to offer some basic firewalling/ipchains right
out of the install.