[lug] Linux sysctl() Kernel Memory Reading Vulnerability

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Thu Feb 15 17:29:47 MST 2001

Justin wrote:

> Well my boxes do meet the requirements you mentioned, although getting
> the patch in seems like a sketchy process. I noticed the exploit was
> local too, would users connected to the box via ssh or telnet be
> considered local? One of the machines is a shell server which has users
> connected to it 24/7. However, I don't suspect any of my users would
> try to exploit the box, I don't want to overlook a potential security
> hole. Thanks for your help...

Anyone with a real user account that logs in via ssh or telnet would be
local once logged in. Adding that as a module probably would not disrupt
your regular kernel, provided you have your kernel source available and
configured to match the installed system already. It wouldn't hurt to
try to compile it and see if it fails or not; the question then is
whether you want to install it or test it. Modules are just
that...separate plugin items that can extend the kernel and be added or
removed at will.