[lug] ftp only login

rm at mamma.varadinet.de rm at mamma.varadinet.de
Fri Feb 16 07:00:06 MST 2001

On Fri, Feb 16, 2001 at 06:48:31AM -0700, Deva Samartha wrote:
> How can I make a ftp only login so that it works with ftp access only and
> every other service under that login is disabled?
>
> S.

You could just change the login shell in /etc/passwd to
something that doesn't permit login. Most distributions
have some sort of pseudo shell in /bin/false. I prefer
a little program that logs the login attempts and tells
the user what's going on. But be carefull: don't use
a complicated shell script or a pager like less/more
to display a long message, otherwise the user might
abuse a shell escape to 'login' anyway.

 Ralf Mattes