[lug] Email address harvesting at lug?

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Fri Feb 16 12:55:19 MST 2001

Ken Weinert wrote:

> Hear Ye, Hear Ye, listen as The Voice of Experience speaks:
>
> *Don't* make the mistake I did and type the address from memory and put
> "sexyfun.com" into your browser window.
>
> That site most definately *is* a pron site - one of the real annoying
> ones that tie into your kill button and all. And the more you try to get
> out, the more windows it opens - I had to go to another desktop and
> "killall -9 netscape" to finally get out it.
>
> And, just for the record, when you're at work in an open cubicle plan
> you just can't type that command fast enough.
>
> Thus has The Voice of Experience spoken.
>
> --
> Ken Weinert   kenw at ihs.com 303-858-6956 (V) 303-705-4258 (F)
> GnuPG KeyID: 9274F1CE           GnuPG available at http://www.gnupg.org/
> GnuPG Key Fingerprint: 1D87 3720 BB77 4489 A928  79D6 F8EC DD76 9274 F1CE
> Be nice to your kids.  They'll choose your nursing home.

Try blocking incoming SYN packets, especially to port 80. For example,
if you have a menu bar at the bottom of your X window manager, make it
do:
ipchains -A input -i ppp0 -s 0/0 -p TCP -l -y -j DENY

(if not via modem, adjust ppp0)

You might want to add another button that kills the one rule as well.