[lug] Linux sysctl() Kernel Memory Reading Vulnerability

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Fri Feb 16 13:09:42 MST 2001

Justin wrote:

> So this sounds like something I would "activate" with like a modprobe
> or insmod right? I'll the compile a try this weekend and see what
> happens.

Yes. If you are familiar with module directory, the scheme is that all
Linux machines have a /lib/modules/"someversion"/ directory.
"someversion" is found with "uname -r", which is named after the kernel
major version, minor version, and "EXTRAVERSION". All of those versions
are visible at the top of the kernel toplevel Makefile. EXTRAVERSION is
typically for naming patch levels or vendor information. Anyway, assume
your kernel is just "2.4.0", though probably it is longer. You would
have /lib/modules/2.4.0/

Within that, you will have subdirectories, and modules can exist in most
any of them. The modules have a ".o" suffix. I don't know which
directory is best for this module, and it depends on if you use 2.2.x or
2.4.x as to the subdirectories available, but I would guess it goes in
either an i386/kernel/ (2.4.x) or misc/ (2.2.x) directory. Then try
either "depmod -a", or "insmod themodulename.o" (or modprobe), while
monitoring /var/log/messages (e.g., "tail -f -n 30 /var/log/messages"
will continuously monitor and display the log as it runs). If you don't
like the module, delete it or move it, no harm done. So in addition to
what you mentioned to activate it, you simply need to be sure it is
where it can be found first, in the right modules subdirectory.