[lug] autologout

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Fri Feb 16 13:15:08 MST 2001

B O'Fallon wrote:

> "D. Stimits" wrote:
>
> >  find /etc/X11 -type f -exec grep -i logout {} \; -print -> Nothing at all.
> > I also used various versions of "logout", such as
> > "Logout", "LogOut", "LOGOUT", so on. :(
> >

> The file /etc/profile can have a line in it "TMOUT= period in seconds" that
> will apply to everyone if set there (it a good trick for security), or it can
> be placed in each user's home directory initialization files if individual
> timeout periods are desired. It kicks in after the time interval to log out
> the user. May you could look for TMOUT (and variations) with find in your
> etc/X11 directories?

I'm using tcsh, although the window manager is probably under bash. On
the other hand, I grep'd all files in all of /etc/ and recursively into
all subdirectories, and no occurence of TMOUT was found. Nor do any home
directory .* files contain it.

> Additionally, the screensaver can be timed out, but I am assuming that you are
> being booted completely out of the system back to the login prompt.

Correct. I come back and the gdm login prompt is there. This only occurs
after long idling, and the screen saver has been up for a while.