[lug] MS: Open Source threatens American Way

John Karns jkarns at csd.net
Sat Feb 17 16:55:24 MST 2001

On Fri, 16 Feb 2001, Neal McBurnett said:

> Microsoft's Allchin is proclaiming that Open Source threatens the
> American Way and hurts the "intellectual-property business".  I don't
> know what he means by the "intellectual-property business" but if the
> goal is not some useful product, but rather just turning ideas into
> property, it sounds like a big drain on productivity and innovation
> all by itself.  And I've heard that a lot of corporate patent
> departments are just like that....

That's it!  Linux is a threat to national security!  Now that's
innovation.

... and it's perfectly OK for MS to give away IE and Outlook - it's fair
competition!  But I guess it's exempt since it's not open source ....

But hey, per their statements last week, they have nothing to worry about,
as Linux technology is obviously inferior to that of the MS Windows
platforms!

John Karns                                              jkarns at csd.net