[lug] What tweaks are done to kernels by distributors

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Sat Feb 17 17:42:40 MST 2001

On Fri, Feb 16, 2001 at 08:20:48AM -0700, Jonathan Corbet wrote:
> > In general, what tweaks do Linux distributors do to the kernel before
> > releasing it in their versions of Linux?
>
> It varies a lot from one distribution to the next.  Red Hat patches
> extensively; Debian relatively little.

Another nice aspect of Debian (can't resist doing a little more advocacy
here...) is that if you download their kernel-source packages, the way
the packaging system works is that they give you both a true kernel
source tree from upstream and a patch file that makes the "Debianized"
changes so you can see EXACTLY what was done.  I LOVE this feature of
Debian.  All packages are supposed to provide raw, true upstream source
and a diff... if they don't it's considered a BUG and you can report it.

--
Nate Duehr <nate at natetech.com>