DHCP Clients - was: Re: [lug] new to BLUG, Hello, @Home setup

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Sat Feb 17 17:47:06 MST 2001

On Fri, Feb 16, 2001 at 06:15:55PM -0700, Calvin Dodge wrote:
> Do you have dhcpcd installed?  If so, give that a try - I believe it has
> a better reputation than pump.

It definitely does right now.  There was a rather extensive thread on
the debian-boot mailing list a couple of weeks back about which DHCP
client to use for the new Debian installer, which will be released in
"sid".  (They're sticking with the installer they have for the upcoming
release this summer of "Woody", which I see they've started the
freeze-cycle on, according to Slashdot today or yesterday... yay!)

Pump according to what I read there has problems when the DHCP lease
expires.  It doesn't renew the lease.  At least that's what those guys
were saying.

I have always used pump just out of not knowing any better, but I think
they decided to use DHCPCD for the installer... can't remember right
now.

--
Nate Duehr <nate at natetech.com>