[lug] omniORB RPMS Available

Rob Riggs rob at pangalactic.org
Sun Feb 18 18:26:45 MST 2001

I use omniORB for its excellent Python bindings, which is worlds
above any of the other ORBs with Python bindings that I have
looked into: orbit-python, pyorbit (which is dead), ILU (which
does not appear to be CORBA compliant), and fnorb (which I have
not tried).

I started some work with orbit-python, but it is still in
its infancy and the primary developers do not seem to have
much time to invest in the project. I found it really easy
to deadlock the ORBit ORB. orbit-python is unique in that
it compiles the IDL on the fly. However, in order to do
that it overrides the builtin __import__ function, and in
the process breaks a few things. You cannot import two
modules that both import the CORBA module, for instance.
This is very common when you're playing with lots of
CORBA objects.

omniORB is faster than Gnome's ORBit from what I have seen,
doing on the order of 10K calls per second, compared to
2000K for orbit-python, when working with local objects.

I played around with MICO long ago, but I haven't done any
serious C++ CORBA apps with either, so I cannot attest to
any advantage there.

The biggest drawback with omniORB for me was its ungainly
configuration, compilation and installation process which
drove me to develop the RPMS. The RPMS should make omniORB
much easier to install and develop under.

It is interesting to find that I now need 'make' (to compile
the IDL files) in order to build my Python applications...

"D. Stimits" wrote:

> Rob Riggs wrote:
> >
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I have just released a set of Red Hat 7.0 RPMS for omniORB and
> > omniORBpy.
> >
> > omniORB is a very fast and efficient CORBA 2.3 compliant ORB. omniORBpy
> > are the Python bindings for omniORB. Both are released under a
> > combination
> > of GPL and LGPL licenses.
> >
> > For more information and access to the RPMS, please see:
> > http://community.tummy.com/~rob/
> >
> > --
> > Rob Riggs
>
> Out of curiosity, how does this compare to MICO or the ORB from gnome?
>
> D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com

Rob Riggs
http://www.pangalactic.org/