[lug] Qwest ADSL

Larry D. Ashton ldashton at infowest.com
Sun Feb 18 21:29:55 MST 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Reberry Andrew D" <Andrew.Reberry at Colorado.EDU>
To: <lug at lug.boulder.co.us>
Sent: Sunday, February 18, 2001 8:24 PM
Subject: Re: [lug] Qwest ADSL

> Looks like your using IP Masq, which means you have multiple network cards
> in the machine.  A year or so ago I did the same thing, using eth0
> for my Internet connection while I used eth1 for my Intranet connection.
> I came across the same sort of problem when it came to DHCP.  I found
> back then (hopefully changed by now) that dhcp could not work all that
> well with multiple network cards.  Sometimes it would look at the wrong
> card for the connection.
>
> I would love to remember how exactly I fixed the problem, but toying with
> it and help from a friend got it up and running.  If I recall (??), I had
> eth0 as Intranet and eth1 as WAN, but changed them so that dhclient would
> go to the first card it found.
>

> Another thing I can't remember is if you have a dynamic IP address, then
> does that mean you have to use DHCP to access the 675?  I'm on cable modem
> right now and believe that is how it needs to be done (though I have a
> static IP..)
>
> Sorry I could not be of further assistance.  One last question though:
> can you use eth1 and eth0 to connect to the LAN if you wanted.  (Just
> curious if its the network card itself thats your problem)

Yes, I can connect with either card.  One of the first problems I ran into,
was I had only loaded the ethernet module once because I'm using 2 - 3COM
3C509B cards.  Because I was using the same cards, and the module was
capeable, I thought I only needed the module loaded once to run both cards.
But, because of the firewall and ip masquerading, ports 67 and 68 were
getting blocked for both cards, so I had to load separate instances of the
module for each card like in the ethernet "how to" using the -o in the
options line.

thanks for the thougts,
Larry