[lug] Dual boot... well kinda

John Karns jkarns at csd.net
Sun Feb 18 20:37:21 MST 2001

On Sun, 18 Feb 2001, John Starkey said:

> I'm setting up VMware. I've got an OEM Win98 CD here and trying to set
> up a dual boot. The idea is that the OEM won't install under VMware so
> I'm installing it and trying to install linux on seperate partitions.
> I've never done a dual boot though.
>
> I install Windoze fine. Then when installing RH6.2 (and 7) on top of it
> the install dies with signal 11s and some other error. Everytime.
>
> I've got:
>
> hda1 -- Windoze
> hda2 -- /
> hda3 -- /home
> hda4 -- /usr
> hda5 -- /free

Depending on what version of lilo you're using and some other factors such
as BIOS type, it may not be important in your case, but I would suggest
allocating a small partition in front of / (i.e. wholly contained within
the 1st 1024 cylinders) for the /boot dir.  This is where your kernels
would go, so depending on how many versions you may want to have stored
there, you may want to size it anywhere from 5MB to 30MB.

I don't know if this would be causing your signal 11's etc.  But it's the
approach that I've been using, although I use SuSE, the reasons should
apply to RH or any Linux distro as well.

John Karns                                              jkarns at csd.net

"Those who cast the vote decide nothing; Those who count the vote decide
everything." - Joseph Stalin