[lug] How do you rpm the rpm rpm???

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Mon Feb 19 00:56:46 MST 2001

On Mon, Feb 19, 2001 at 12:37:58AM -0700, John Starkey wrote:
> Whoa. It's too late for this crap :}
>
> I need to upgrade the rpm from 6.2's version to 7.0s. If I try rpm -Uvh
> rpm* it tells me it only supports < 4.x-x.rpm's.

It is RedHat's way of keeping you from installing a binary from 7.0 with
6.2 -- they won't work.  Changes to their compiler toolchain and other
changes will mean a RH 7.0 RPM will break pretty severely (usually) on a
6.2 system.  So all RPM's with version numbers higher than 4 are meant
for RH 7.x machines and higher.

> Hmmm. This sounds kinda scary.

It is.  :-)

Why do you need 7.0's RPM on a 6.2 machine?  Have you looked in the
updates dir on the RedHat mirrors for an updated RPM for 6.2?  That
might work a heck of a lot better if you're just looking for a fix for
some kind of known problem with 6.2's RPM.

> I can't boot from CD because it's dieing from signal 11s.

Totally unrelated, methinks.  Signal 11's are usually a bad sign that
you have flakey hardware somewhere.  If you're running a dual-boot
machine, this may seem untrue as Windoze may run just fine on the
hardware, but Linux may not.  More often than not, running tools that
check the hardware (without booting Linux or Windows) from a boot floppy
will find the problem, and usually it's due to bad RAM or overclocking.

The Linux kernel can get a bit picky and unstable under overclocked
conditions.

There's a Signal-11 FAQ on linuxdoc.org somewhere, if I remember
correctly, or just do a Google search for Signal 11.  There's a LOT of
references to it out on the web.

Let us know, we need more info to help!

--
Nate Duehr <nate at natetech.com>