[lug] Dual-booting Red Hat 7.0 and Free BSD 4.0

B O'Fallon bof at americanisp.net
Mon Feb 19 16:46:09 MST 2001

Hi,

I'm trying to set up a machine to dual-boot between Red Hat 7.0 and
FreeBSD 4.0. I've installed RH first, then FreeBSD, with partitions as
follows:

Linux /boot (23 MB)
FreeBSD (3 GB)
Linux /
Other linux partitions (home, usr, var, tmp, etc)

When I installed FreeBSD, I had it put its boot loader in the MBR.
Previously, I had done this, and found that it picked up Linux when it
did and allowed dual booting. This time, however, it displays as
follows:

    F1 --- Linux
    F2 --- FreeBSD
    F3 --- Linux

But the only one that works is F2, which does boot FreeBSD. The others
simply beep when the key is pressed.

Anyway, I'd much rather use LILO to do this.

Could anyone tell me the entries I need in the /etc/lilo.conf file to
add Free BSD to boot it as well as whatever else I need to do (e.g.,
which files to copy from the BSD partition to the Linux /boot)?

Thanx.

BOF