[lug] LILO and L :}

Rob Riggs rob at pangalactic.org
Mon Feb 19 22:48:17 MST 2001

John Starkey wrote:

> When installing occassionally I end up with the "L" instead of LILO.
> Based on previous conversations it appears to be that my mbr is outside
> ot the 1024. How can I put it back in?

The common recommendation is to create a small /boot partition
as the first partition on the disk, which is where all of your
bootable kernels should reside. I find that 10MB is more than
adequate for any production machine, and use 50MB on my home
machine where I experiment and keep more active kernels.

> Also when using Linux Rescue off the boot cd how do i get fdisk to
> access /dev/hda. It keeps telling me /dev/hda can't be accessed.

You often need to create the /dev entries manually when using
rescue mode. "mknod /dev/hda b 3 0" should do the trick.

--
Rob Riggs
http://www.pangalactic.org/