[lug] Scripting something that relies on pwd

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Mon Feb 19 23:17:37 MST 2001

On Mon, Feb 19, 2001 at 10:49:05PM -0700, John Starkey wrote:
> > Did you compile MySQL yourself?  Where does it live on your machine?
>
> Yeah. I compiled it. And at /usr/local/src
>
> > I'd start with seeing if it's in the path of the environment that is
> > calling it.
> >
> > Also when you were calling it from rc.local, were you using the full
> > path to the binary, or just the name?
>
> Would that be root? During boot?

Your other posts still indicate to me that you have a path problem.

When you installed MySQL, I assume the binaries are under the
/usr/local/bin tree somewhere.  The scripts provided with MySql are
probably not able to find the things they're calling because they're not
in the shell path.

However, I don't want to make a recommendation about how to fix it
without knowing for sure.  Where do your binaries live?  Did you just
do a standard "make install" after creating MySQL?

Another question I just *have* to ask -- any reason why a pre-packaged
version of MySQL for your chosen distribution wouldn't have worked?  All
this stuff gets set up for you in most distros if you use the packages.
The only reason in a package-managed distro to build from source is if
you have special needs that the pre-compiled stuff won't provide -- or
if you just like "doing it the old-fashioned way".  Do you have special
features compiled in?

--
Nate Duehr <nate at natetech.com>