[lug] laptop time

Timothy C. Klein teece at silverklein.net
Wed Feb 21 07:11:59 MST 2001

Set your bios to GMT (or UTC, whatever you call it).  I suspect your
problem will go away.  If you run only linux, to do this adjust your
time to the correct time for MST, (rdate -s time.nist.gov is easy), then
do hwclock --systohc to sync the RTC in your laptop with that.

I don't think you have to tell Linux that the RTC is in UTC (he he,
funny acronyms), but I could be wrong.  If that doesnt help, let me
know.  It is early in the morning and I am still sleepy.  You also need
to make sure that you run tzconfig and set your timezone correctly, so
that when linux asks for the time, it gets UTC first, and converts it to
local time for you.

If you run Windows on the laptop, you may have to lie Linux about which
timezone you are (I would tell it you are in GMT), and make sure the
bios is set to local time.  But I don't like that approach.

Tim
On Tue, Feb 20, 2001 at 10:57:19AM -0700, Sevinsky Joel wrote:
> I have an IBM 390E laptop running Redhat 6.1.  It seems that whenever I
> close the lid and go into suspend mode for even a few seconds, the time
> loses 7 hours exactly.  This only happens the first time I suspend, later
> suspends do not change the time.  I can not find a solution at google and
> was wondering if anyone had any ideas.  Thanks.
>
> Joel

> Joel Sevinsky
> Department of MCD Biology
> Campus Box 347
> University of Colorado
> Boulder, CO  80309
>
> (303)492-7794     FAX: (303)492-2439
> joel at sevinsky.com
> http://www.sevinsky.com

== Timothy Klein       || And what rough beast                   ==
== teece at hypermall.net || Its hour come round at last            ==
== Aufwiedersehen!     || Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born? ==
== Aufwiedersehen!     || The beast of Redmond, nothing more.    ==