[lug] email mystery

John Hernandez John.Hernandez at noaa.gov
Wed Feb 21 11:42:11 MST 2001

It seems to me that password authentication is not always reasonable.  Sendmail is an e-mail relay and delivery program which implements a store and forward architecture.  Sendmail's job, in my mind, is similar to that of an IP router.  It get messages (from a huge pool of potential sources) and sends them towards the addressee by passing them to another node (or sticking them into a local mail spool).

In the sense that it's part of Internet infrastructure, you can't expect everyone who needs to deliver via your sendmail server to authenticate by password.

The methods outlined by Kirk below are the best known tools to control SPAM.  They amount to strategic ACLs, strict header requirements, and relay authentication where appropriate (ie. dialup links with dynamic IP addressing).