[lug] PC to PC serial cable?

Scott A. Herod herod at interact-tv.com
Wed Feb 21 17:23:44 MST 2001

Hi,

  I'm trying to create a PC to PC serial cable ( 9 pin )and I've found
discussions in a couple of HOW-TOs

http://www.redhat.com/mirrors/LDP/HOWTO/Text-Terminal-HOWTO.html

and

http://www.redhat.com/mirrors/LDP/HOWTO/Serial-HOWTO.html

Most of the stuff there is completely Greek to me, plus the connectors
I currently have access to don't quite match those described.

I've got two connectors which accept Cat5 cable in one end and
are DB9 on the other end.  Can someone explain how the pin connection
should go?  I've only got 8 wires of course.  Is the pin-out:

   2  <--  3   Transmit
   3  -->  2   Receive
   5  <->  5   Ground
   8  <--  7  Req. to Send
   7  -->  8  Clr. to Send

Are the others left unconnected?  Should I snip them or is it safe to
have
them pass through?  If the latter, which pin should I leave off?

Thanks,

Scott