[lug] Color tweaks

John Starkey jstarkey at advancecreations.com
Wed Feb 21 16:30:04 MST 2001

> > > The monitor peaks at 53.7K and 85Hz and the only mode line I can find
> > > right now is 55.84k and 72Hz. Is there a way to adjust this mode line to
> >
> > Sorry.. that's 55.84 and 85. The modeline below is correct.
> >
> > # 800x600  @  85Hz,  55.84 kHz  hsync
> > Modeline  "800x600"  60.75   800  864  928 1088    600 616  621  657
> > -HSync  - VSync
> >
> > John
> >

> Have you tried xvidtune? If you find a likeable modeline while using it,
> you can copy it to your XF86Config file.

Yeah. You had recommended it before and it helped here but what I think
confuses me is, the above Modeline tells it to use "800x600" then it gives it a
dot clock then a bunch of possible resolutions and finally "-HSync" and
"-VSync" (in this case). But some mode lines have "+hsync" and "+vsync".  And
some have neither. So.... questions:

1) What are they? What does +hsync and -HSync tell X?  (And why are the caps
different, is there a "-hsync")?

2) The HOWTO tries to explain a way to trade off between sync and dot clock to
optimize X and the monitor. I've never tried calibrating monitors before. I
have a very very fundamental clue(?), I've calibrated audio equipment. But not
video. I'm worried about venturing too far out. Is this a common trick?

3) Sync pulses, positioning them.... This just determines where the new line
will start and end right?

4) -probeonly tells me my max dot clock is 135MHz and I'm only using 60.75 in
the above example why won't it allow me to bring it up any higher? And
could/would I benefit from it. I've gotten my 800x600 up to 51MHz and it
appears it's speeding things up, but 51 is it's max. This is the amount of data
being thrown at the card right?

Thanks,

John