[lug] Can't determine library version.(rpm)

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Fri Feb 23 12:47:40 MST 2001

John Starkey wrote:

> I keep getting
>
> FATAL: cannot determine library version
>
> when installing via rpm. I tried --rebuilddb and it returns the same.
> This is a standard upgrade from the 6.1 (RH) distro to KRUD 7. I haven't
> had a chance to screw anything up yet. I installed 6.1 then upgraded
> immediately to KRUD7. Had to do it this way because it's the only way I
> could install a dual boot (without having LILO problems).
>
> ld.so.conf has:
>
> /usr/X11/lib
> /usr/i-486-linux-libc5/lib
> /usr/lib
> /lib
>
> I did compile kernel 2.4 and install that.
>
> Anyone know how I can fix this? I thought it was referring to glibc when
> installing something else but I compiled the same app myself from the
> tarball and everything was fine.
>
> Thanks,
>
> John

I'd run an strace to see if it fails to open something (maybe just
permissions, maybe otherwise). E.G., as root, "strace -oRebuildlog.txt
rpm --rebuilddb". Towards the end of the log file, it'll likely name a
file that it didn't have permission to use, or didn't exist, or
something similar. There are a lot of files that it searches for
normally but won't find; however, this one will probably stand out.