[lug] Favorite NAS

Rob Riggs rriggs at doubleclick.net
Fri Feb 23 17:15:41 MST 2001

My favorite costs lots more than $15K for .5Tb. NetApps ain't cheap.

For something in that price range, look at the Quantuum Snap Servers.
They do NFS and CIFS using IDE drives in multiple possible RAID
configurations (and JBOD). You can definitely get the capacity you need
within your price range, though it will span multiple units. I think
240MB is their single largest unit still. We've got a couple in light
duty use.

http://www.snapserver.com/

You are going quite cheap with a budget of 15K.

I hate to say it, but I would stay away from Linux solutions (at least
32-bit Linux solutions) for this sort of thing. The 2GB file size limit
is a killer these days. It has bitten me a number of times recently. And
you really need fast recovery when the thing crashes. A fsck on a .5Tb
partition would take a little longer than you might be comfortable with.
Large file size support and a journalled file system useable with NFS
would make me rethink this position.