[lug] laptop time

John Karns jkarns at csd.net
Sat Feb 24 08:08:47 MST 2001

On Fri, 23 Feb 2001, Timothy C. Klein said:

>On Fri, Feb 23, 2001 at 10:40:36AM -0500, John Karns wrote:
>> What about the timestamps on the filesystem.  What I would't like is
>> having to deal with GMT in the file timestamps.  I presume that cron would
>> be referenced to the local time and not GMT - correct?
>
>I believe time stamps are stored in GMT.  However, this is actually the

That wouldn't be a problem as long as the system does a translation.  But
I'm afraid that if I view the files in mc for example, that they would all
show as GMT.  But then maybe not depending on what system call any
particular app uses to get the information.

It's been quite a while since I tried it - it may have been with the 2.0
kernel series.  But at that time, the reason I didn't switch to using GMT
was this issue; and I seem to remember that cran was alwso skewed by it.

Guess I'll try it again.