[lug] USB Mice and Linux

Ken Kinder ken at kenkinder.com
Sun Feb 25 10:51:53 MST 2001

Generally that's because the software assigned or detected something that
changes on boot up. I've seen this happen with network cards frequently,
but any plug and pray device is subject.

I'd look around in /etc/modules or /etc/modules.conf to see if any kernel
modules are being loaded. If they are, try removing any arguments that
specify hardware addresses. Check for similar hardware addressing in
/etc/X11/XF86Config and any other config files you can think of.

Search google for the model of your mouse and Linux too. :)

And most importantly: never buy anything USB again. USB is bad on Macs
and worse on PCs. If possible, find a converter from USB to PS/2. That's
what my wireless Logitec mouse comes with and it's a lifesaver.

On Sun, Feb 25, 2001 at 09:36:27AM -0800, Prescott Oelke wrote:
>  Hi all,
>
>  I just bought a USB Logitech wheel mouse. I have the SuSE 6.4 distribution
> with USB support. When I start the install everything goes smoothly. SuSE
> detects my mouse and I can use it for the GUI install. After install SuSE
> drops me into KDM to log in to X, and everything works fine, until I
> shutdown the computer and reboot. I get no errors in the bootup process but
> my mouse does not work.
>  I have tried copiling a new kernel (both from the SuSE distribution and the
> 2.4 kernel) to the same effect. The 2.4 kernel won't even load the USB
> controller driver. I am hoping that it's something simple that I have
> overlooked. Does anyone have any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Prescott Oelke

Ken Kinder