[lug] superblock erased by windows. Help!

Deva Samartha blug-receive at mtbwr.net
Mon Feb 26 22:33:32 MST 2001

man e2fsck:

NAME
        e2fsck - check a Linux second extended file system
SYNOPSIS
        e2fsck  [  -pacnyrdfvstFSV ] [ -b superblock ] [ -B block­
        size ] [ -l|-L bad_blocks_file ] [ -C fd ] device
DESCRIPTION
        e2fsck is used to check a Linux second extended file  sys­
        tem.
        device is  the  special  file  corresponding to the device
               (e.g /dev/hdc1).
OPTIONS
        -a     This option does the same thing as the  -p  option.
               It is provided for backwards compatibility only; it
               is suggested that people  use  -p  option  whenever
               possible.
        -b superblock
               Instead  of  using  the  normal  superblock, use an
               alternative  superblock  specified  by  superblock.
               This  option  is  normally  used  when  the primary
               superblock has  been  corrupted;  most  filesystems
               have  primary  superblocks  located at blocks 8193,
               16385, etc.  If an alternative superblock is speci­
               fied  and  the  filesystem is not opened read-only,
               e2fsck will make sure that the  primary  superblock
               is  updated  appropriately  upon  completion of the
               filesystem check.

If your main superblock is hosed, use an alternate superblock with the -b
option. It works, I did it  - once.

Samartha