[lug] RFA X4.01 fatal server: cannot find font 'fixed'

B O'Fallon bof at americanisp.net
Tue Feb 27 11:12:30 MST 2001

"D. Stimits" wrote:

> Two things seem to happen here (at least to me). One is that permissions
> get cut off on the font path, the other is that some sort of config tool
> alters the prior FontPath setting while setting up something else
> X11-related. For 4.0.x on RH, I think /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 holds the
> font path in:
> Section "Files"
>    FontPath "unix/:7100"
> EndSection
>
> The above setting is for the X font server to work with UDP on port 7100
> (meaning port 7100 and loopback need to function without interference as
> well).

Perhaps the message

    Could not init font path element unix/:7100, removing from list

was the cause of the problem. Apparently the machine was not seeing the
fonts.

I finally fixed it by removing all the /etc/X11R6/XF86Config files and
rerunning XF86Config. After that it worked fine.

This is the second time that I have had this problem with X under KRUD, so I
wonder what may be going on that it works one minute and not the next?

Thanx for the help.

BOF