[lug] iptables error

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Tue Feb 27 13:39:29 MST 2001

charles at lunarmedia.net wrote:

> > I'm not all that familiar with it yet either, but the errors you show
> > below are kernel module errors, not directly firewall (it happens that
>
> actually, the error i was referring to was the
>
>         iptables: No chain/target/match by that name

The source appears to be the same in working versus non-working, this
wouldn't be the problem. The target also appears to be the same in
working versus non-working. The match "-m state --state
ESTABLISHED,RELATED" must be the problem. The portions that work are
part of packet filtering, whereas the failing portion is part of the new
iptables features. I wonder if the iptables features are not
running/active?

> i am guessing that its getting the errors from insmod because i don't have
> those modules compiled into the kernel, yet the firewall script attempts
> to load them. the result of a script written that tries to apply to
> everyone's individual scenario.
>
> i could be wrong, but i think these errors are okay.

This could be correct. Several scripts make assumptions that everything
is a module. The thing I would wonder about is if all the required
iptables kernel support is active, which appears to be configured
separately from filtering.