[lug] Re: superblock erased by windows. Help! (II)

Jesus Molina chus at Glue.umd.edu
Tue Feb 27 14:20:40 MST 2001

On Mon, 26 Feb 2001, Jesus Molina wrote:

Hello,
First, thanks for the responses.
Using TOMstrb utility, I issue the following commands

I tried e2fsck -b /dev/sda2 <8192*[1-20]+1 but without success.

mke2fs -S /dev/sda2
ANd the system recreated my superblock

e2fsck /dev/sda2
And lots of errors were issued. But my filenames appeared, so they still
were there, but with inode problems.
I issued

e2fsck -y /dev/sda2 (say yes to everything)

Now I can mount /dev/sda2 /tmp/linux
And I have only one directoy lost+found. With a lot of files set to 0.
So I lost all my data.
I would like to know If, as my data was still there, if I could have used
a better method.

Before blowing up everything I tried mke2fs -b /dev/sda2 <8192*[1-20]+1
but without success.

And yes, my Windows 98 is the one doing the mess. I run again mplayer2
now I dont mind to lose my super-block again and it dissapeared again.I
guess is
because I do not have a correct audio driver installed, but what It has do
with my linux partition? Any guesses? You know any way to track what
actions windows 98 is performing to erase the superblock?

Is there anyway to make a bakup of  my superblock to another
computer, so ifthis happens again I can restore it?

Regards,

JEsus