[lug] SIOCADDRT in network startup

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Wed Feb 28 12:41:36 MST 2001

Erick Bodine wrote:

> Nate,
>
> This box is less than a month old.  It is build with 2.2.14-6.1.1 kernel and RH 6.2; so no possible left over crud from a 2.0.x kernel upgrade.

If you have any kernel installed that is not the original, you still
have the possibility of leftover modules. It puts new modules in
/lib/modules/...version_scheme.../. If a module already exists, "make
modules_install" overwrites it; but if you did not create and do not
require a particular module that used to be there, it will remain, and
depmod may try to use it. When installing a new kernel, if it is the
exact same version number as another, you're best off if you first mv
the /lib/modules/..whatever../ to /lib/modules/..whatever-backup../
first.