[lug] CDROM ide-cd: ignoring drive

John Starkey jstarkey at advancecreations.com
Thu Mar 1 00:50:13 MST 2001

I upgraded to KRUD7 a month ago and lost my cdrom, although I was
upgrading from that cdrom, and it was successful. This upgrade was a bit
of a culture shock because I had a million and one of my own non-RH
compiles, so this is my issue I'm sure.

I'm trying to mount it right now and getting:

ide-cd: ignoring drive hdc
hdc: driver not present
mount: /dev/cdrom is not a valid block device

(is there a generic driver I need? it was working before)

ls /dev/hdc -al shows:

brw-rw----  root    disk    /dev/hdc

/dev/cdrom is a symlink to the above.

I'm able to boot from the cdrom but while trying to do an update it dies
saying I may be out of disk space. Before the initial update everything
was working fine.

So I tried doing up2date and it's dieing on libguile.so.4 dependency
problems. I also tried recompiling the kernel thinking it had left out
ide-cdrom but I'm dead in the water with a string of errors (floppy.c)
this time.

Can anyone help ??

Thanks,

John