[lug] VISOR (was "pda")

Timothy Klein teece at silverklein.net
Fri Mar 2 07:04:28 MST 2001

I am using a serial cradle and jpilot as well.  I tried to get the USB
cradle set up, but had strange, intermittent problems.  I could usually
get it to work with coldsync, but not with pilot-link.  I am meaning to
try it again one day soon.

Are you using the most current kernel?  If you are not running 2.4.x, I
would consider giving a try if you can.  I think 2.2.18 is ok as well.
Anything else has a bug that Greg Kroah, the driver writer, was unable
to find for the longest time.  This bug caused problems on large file
transfers.

HTH

Tim

* charles at lunarmedia.net (charles at lunarmedia.net) wrote:

> using a visor, are you using a usb cradle or serial?
> i have a visor deluxe and use a usb cradle. i can connect well to the
> visor using coldsync when no data is present, however as soon as i restore
> a large amount of data to the visor from a windows box and try to then
> back it up on the linux machine, all hell breaks loose. the backup will
> fail completely and coldsync will quit.
>
> i am running:
>
> [~] Yes, my master? >coldsync -V
> coldsync version 1.4.6
>
> i can't for the life of me get kpilot to run with a visor running usb. may
> i ask what software you're running for backup and the cradle style you're
> using?
>
> thanks! -cjm
>

> On Thu, 1 Mar 2001, Timothy Klein wrote:
>
> > I use a Visor and really like it.  Does fine with Linux.
> >
> > However, if you want more power, I have heard that the Compaq Ipaq can
> > run Linux (even with some very limited support from Compaq?).  Also, the
> > Yopy (Samsung?) is totally Linux based, but I am not sure one can buy it
> > yet.  There was also that homegrown open PDA project that was on the
> > list a while ago.  (Or was that the CLUE list, hmm?  I must be tired, I
> > can't remember anything).
> >
> > HTH
> >
> > Tim
> >
> > * Holshouser, David (dholshou at ball.com) wrote:
> > >
> > > I'm starting to think about buying myself a PDA of somekind.
> > > After two minutes of thought, I start figuring that a Palm may
> > > not satisfy (devil's advocate/power monger inside).
> > > Immediately a pocketPC comes to mind (wince),
> > > quickly followed by keyboard (or lack thereof) and so
> > > I move to the sub-sub-notebook (for less than $1K) arena.
> > >
> > > This brings me to my topic.
> > >
> > > What other VERY small computing options are out there?
> > > Which ones are known to be good with Linux?
> > > Does anyone have any experience with said devices?
> > >
> > > --
> > > David Holshouser
> > > Engineer I
> > > Ball Aerospace & Technologies Corp.
> > > (303)939-5085  dholshou at ball.com

== Timothy Klein         || And what rough beast                   ==
== teece at silverklein.net || Its hour come round at last            ==
== Aufwiedersehen!       || Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born? ==
== Aufwiedersehen!       || The beast of Redmond, nothing more.    ==