[lug] resolver problems

John Hernandez John.Hernandez at noaa.gov
Fri Mar 2 11:12:48 MST 2001

Whenever I use dig, host, or nslookup and specify a nameserver other than the default, I get a Segmentation fault.  But it only happens if I use FQDN rather than IP address for the server specification.  I tried strace, but it didn't really help me.  It produces a core file, but I'm not experienced in corefile analysis either; completely clueless what to do after 'gdb dig core'.

My system:
Linux 2.4.1
RH 7.0.99 (fisher)
i686

$ dig @name.ufl.edu www.ufl.edu
Segmentation fault
$ host name.ufl.edu
name.ufl.edu. has address 128.227.128.24
$ dig @128.227.128.24 www.ufl.edu

; <<>> DiG 9.1.0 <<>> @128.227.128.24 www.ufl.edu
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:

I found something about this in Redhat's bugzilla system, and the engineer's advice was "upgrade your glibc".  Well, I can't find a more recent glibc, and there are no updates in the fisher tree.

$ rpm -q glibc
glibc-2.2.1-3

Any ideas?

-John