[lug] Cutting and Pasting..

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Fri Mar 2 19:02:44 MST 2001

Viggy wrote:

> Unfortunately, I don't believe that a solution exists.  On the Windows
> platforms, "cutting and pasting" to a "system" buffer is build into the Win
> API, and every Windows program immediately started using it.  So, you have
> one common area to store basically anything you want (text, graphics, user
> defined things too).  Applications can query the clipboard to see what is
> currently in the buffer, and decide at that time whether they want to allow
> pasting of the buffer (i.e. Notepad does not allow you to paste graphic
> objects into files, therefore if there are graphics in the clipboard,
> Notepad ignores your request to paste).
>
> About the only thing that comes close on UNIX is the middle mouse
> button.  And I've only seen that work for straight text.

Yes, the OLE server becomes active by inheriting from the right
services. Unfortunately, it also means other complications (I once found
a flaw in the generated GUID's, that caused it to switch GUID in the
middle of an application, causing it to crash and burn; once MS
acknowledged it, they cut off all communications with my company and
would no longer answer calls).