[lug] VISOR (was "pda")

Ryan Kirkpatrick linux at rkirkpat.net
Fri Mar 2 21:24:57 MST 2001

On Fri, 2 Mar 2001 charles at lunarmedia.net wrote:

> using a visor, are you using a usb cradle or serial?
> i have a visor deluxe and use a usb cradle. i can connect well to the
> visor using coldsync when no data is present, however as soon as i restore
> a large amount of data to the visor from a windows box and try to then
> back it up on the linux machine, all hell breaks loose. the backup will
> fail completely and coldsync will quit.

	I am using a Visor with the USB cable/cradle with a TP240 running
Debian 2.2 without any problems at all. I am using the jpilot and
pilot-xfer that came with Debian 2.2, with only the kernel upgraded to
2.2.18. I think a lot of the problems with Linux<-USB->Visor communication
is in the kernel support for the specific USB chipset being used. Some
seem to work better than others. Until I upgraded to 2.2.18, the
communication was very flaky and basically unusable, especially after
multiple suspend-resume events (an added complication to the setup :).
	Also, I never got coldsync to work, even though every on the net I
read that no one can get pilot-xfer to work with the Visor, but can with
coldsync. Have you tried pilot-xfer? Otherwise, investing in a serial
cradle would probably be the simplest solution.
	Anyway, my two cents.

|   "For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain."                    |
|                                            --- Philippians 1:21 (KJV)   |