[lug] Cutting and Pasting..

rm at mamma.varadinet.de rm at mamma.varadinet.de
Sat Mar 3 06:25:03 MST 2001

On Fri, Mar 02, 2001 at 07:36:45PM -0700, lpotter wrote:
[...]
> Sometime, when I REALLY need to use a link in netscape, I end up writing a
> quick html link, or paste it into an emacs buffer, and use browse-url
> to send it into netscape. But that is for navigating to a  link. I dont use
> netscape composer at all. I use emacs.

??? Right mouse clickon the link and then select 'Copy Link Location'.
That should do it.
BTW, i think there are some missunderstandings here. X11 _does_ have
a standard clipboard (as a matter of fact, it actually has many clipboards).
What is different between different applications is the way to _access_
the clipboard. Some apps. mimic windows 'standards' (which took quite some
time to evolve), some mimic Apples standards (Apple put up standard keyboard
shortcuts early, so most if not all applications use the same key chords)
and some leave it to the user to configure the key chords semself.
What makes clipboard interapplication communication so hard these days
is the fact that today many apps deal with non-text information. When one
copies 'text' to the clipboard, what happens with formating information?
The different toolkits do address these questions differently but i got
the impression that the major players found some common ground and _do_
work on interoperability.
BTW, one more thing that shouldn't be confused: X11 makes a distinction
between the clipboard(s) and the current selection. When you select some
text and use the middle mouse button to paste it somewhere else you take
advantage of the current selection (which might be different from the
clipboards content).

 Ralf