[lug] VNC on Linux

Anders Knudsen andersk at uswest.net
Tue Mar 6 07:39:01 MST 2001

I have VNC available on a server at work that allows ssh passphrase only
logins.
I just instructed all that if they don't have a VNC process running, to
start one after they login.
Since you have to know the display number, and the VNC process is for
"your" login, I don't think that using inetd is a good idea (IMHO.) As you
know, vncserver starts a process to the lowest number free display,
starting with :1. Or one can try to force starting vncserver to a display
number (vncserver :5, or whatever) and if the number is free it is started.
You have to be logged in as you first, since again, the process is for the
logged in user.
I don't believe that VNC server was designed for "auto-start" use (at least
not that I've found.)
VNC is very cool, BTW. :)

-anders.